The Scariest Part of Halloween is the sugar. The amount of candy consumed on Halloween may seem downright spooky, especially if you’re a dentist, nutritionist or health-conscious parent. Almost every child in the USA will have candy on Halloween, and about half of the adults will eat some. That compares to 24% of all adults and kids who have candy on a typical day.
The small snack sizes might seem harmless, but they are loaded with sugar! Take a look at the numbers below!
- Almond Joy, Snack Size – 80 calories, 8 g sugar
- Butterfinger, Fun Size – 100 calories, 10 g sugar
- Gummie Bears (Haribo) – 8 pieces, around 65 calories, 21 g sugar, and make sure to brush teeth well after gummy bears.
- Heath Bar, Snack Size – 76 calories, and 9 g sugar
- Hershey Kisses – Average 25 calories and 2 – 3 g sugar each kiss
- Hershey’s Miniature Bars – Average 42 calories and 4 g sugar each bar
- Jolly Rancher – For the kids who like candy with pucker power, a serving of three Jolly Ranchers is only 70 calories, 0 g of fat and 11 g of sugar.
- Kit Kat, Fun size – 60 calories and 6 g sugar
- Peanut M & Ms – Speaking of chocolate morsels, a fun size pouch comes in at 93 calories, but the kiddos are getting some protein here. The serving has 5 g of fat and 9 g of sugar.
- Pop Rocks vs. Almond Joy – A package of Pop Rocks has just 25 calories compared to 80 calories for a mini-Almond Joy or Mounds.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, Snack Size – 110 calories, 11 g sugar per peanut butter cup
- Skittles, Fun Size – 60 calories, 11 g sugar
- Smarties – 1 roll, 25 calories, 6 g sugar
- Snickers, Fun Size – 80 calories, 4 g of fat and 8 g of sugar
- Sour Patch Kids, Mini Bag – 50 calories, 10 g sugar
- Starburst, Fun Size – 2 candies, 40 calories, 6 g sugar
- Three Musketeers Minis – The fun size bar has less calories and fat than many other chocolate bars, just 64 calories, 2 g of fat and 11 g of sugar.
- Tootsie Pops & Charms Blow Pops – The treat has lasting value—if you don’t bite into it, that is. The pops have 60 calories, 0 g of fat, but 10 – 13 g of sugar.
- Tootsie Roll Midgee – This chocolaty treat comes in at 23 calories. At 3 g of fat and 20 g of sugar, six Tootsie Roll Midgees have a few less calories than 8 Starbursts.
- Twix Minis –1 bar, 50 calories, 5 g sugar
- Twizzlers (Strawberry Twists) – 2 pieces, 50 calories and 6 g sugar
Source – UCSF Childrens Hospital of Oakland