Would you consider non-food treats to trick-or-treaters? The Teal Pumpkin Project is a worldwide movement to create a safer, happier Halloween for all kids. Putting a teal pumpkin on your doorstep means you have non-food treats available, such as glow sticks or small toys. This simple act also promotes inclusion for trick-or-treaters with food allergies or other conditions.
Here is what YOU can do:
- Provide non-food treats to trick-or-treaters (see examples below)
- Place a teal pumpkin in front of your home to indicate to passersby that you have non-food treats available
- Add your home to the Teal Pumpkin Project map
- Share the Teal Pumpkin Project with your friends and family
- Use the free printable signs, flyers, and materials HERE to help you make the most of this year’s Teal Pumpkin Project
Available at dollar stores, party supply stores, or online shops, these low-cost items can be purchased and handed out to all trick-or-treaters, or made available in a separate bowl from candy if you choose to hand out both options. Nearly all of these items can be found in a Halloween theme or festive colors.
- Glow sticks, bracelets, or necklaces
- Pencils, pens, crayons or markers
- Halloween erasers or pencil toppers
- Mini Slinkies
- Whistles, kazoos, or noisemakers
- Bouncy balls
- Finger puppets or novelty toys
- Spider rings
- Vampire fangs
- Mini notepads
- Playing cards
Are there any non-food treats that I should avoid?
There are a few considerations when choosing which non-food items to hand out. First, some non-food items still contain food allergens, such as some brands of moldable clay, which may contain wheat. Additionally, try to choose latex-free items, as there are children who have latex allergies.
Can I still pass out candy?
Sure – just do it safely! The point of the Teal Pumpkin Project® is to make trick-or-treating as inclusive as possible. You can keep the experience safe by keeping your food treats and non-food treats in separate bowls.
Social media is one of the best and easiest ways you can spread the word about the Teal Pumpkin Project®. Be sure to use #tealpumpkinproject each time you post!