Did you know that sugar and processed foods are as addictive as heroin or cocaine?
What holds most of us back — and gets in the way of success — are those cravings that seem impossible to break.
Here is my twelve step program to beating sugar cravings.
1. Forget fruit juices; go for the actual fruit.
2. Always eat breakfast. It will make or break you for the rest of the day. Your first meal must create blood sugar stability that will carry you to the next meal without sugar cravings.
3. Eat protein with every meal.
4. Remove white foods (except cauliflower) .Remove white bread, spaghetti, rice, pasta.
5. Read Labels! The longer the list of ingredients, the more likely sugar is going to be included on that list.
6. Eat every 2 to 3 hours. Don’t starve yourself or your body will get expert at storing all your calories as fat.
7. For a week write down everything you eat. Write down everything.
8. Move! Be active and keep busy.
9. Stock your refrigerator with low glycemic snacks such as salad, lots of vegetables and go-to-snacks
10. Try a sugar detox program. After the initial overwhelming sugar cravings, your body adjusts and you won’t even want the sugar anymore.
11. Drink lots of water. The more water you drink, the more your body will be fooled into thinking it is not hungry.
12. Get good quality sleep. Sleep deprivation can trigger the hunger hormone as well as the stress hormones that increase appetite!