Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that causes progressive deterioration of memory, thinking, language, and behavior. This gradual loss of brain function occurs over a period of time and has been associated with plaques and tangles in the brain as well as a variety of other causes including genetics, heavy metal toxicity, environmental pollutants (an inability of the body to effectively remove toxins) and oxidative stress. Since Alzheimer’s is a degenerative illness, management of one’s personal health is important. The recommendations below are intended to help reduce symptoms and possibly slow the progression of the disease.
Sanoviv Medical Institute offers amazing health guides with a functional medicine approach to different conditions and these guidelines are form Sanoviv.
Specific Dietary Recommendations
- Since Alzheimer’s Disease may be associated with food sensitivities, try the Sanoviv Elimination diet which eliminates and helps to identify common food allergens.
- Strictly avoid all artificial sweeteners (sucralose/Splenda, saccharin, aspartame) and food additives and preservatives (especially Monosodium Glutamate-MSG).
- Avoid pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals by eating organic fruits and vegetables.
- Eliminate alcohol and caffeine.
- Eat 4-8 teaspoons of coconut oil daily. The medium chain triglycerides in this organic oil have been shown to help improve Alzheimer’s symptoms. Strictly avoid damaged fats and trans fats (deep fried foods, processed oils) as these may worsen symptoms. Your brain is made up of mostly fats. The right type of fat is beneficial to your brain and thought processes. The wrong type of fat may promote brain degeneration.
- Drink green tea daily.
For more information about Sanoviv Health Guides go to www.Sanoviv.com or attend one of my Health and Education Retreats at Sanoviv. Learn more HERE